jamah.blogspot!

15 January 2007

technolust

I'm generally pretty good in terms of not feeling the need to buy things for myself most of the time. I think I'm generally more about treating my wife and I to good food, great places to travel, spa treatments, etc. much more than actual specific material things.

But.... I can now thank Steve Jobs for inspiring me to visit the Apple Store to pick a few things up for myself...

  • iPhone: I want it. It's just so absolutely cool and is probably the first mobile device of its kind to do everything I'd want on-the-go, and to do it really well. Can't wait.
  • Airport Extreme: I've got a good old Airport Express, but with the USB-disk sharing capability of this new base station, I'm very tempted to pick up an external RAID (why not RAID 5 for ultimate speed/redundancy?) USB drive array to hook up (along with my printer) to this base station. I was initially a little concerned from the security perspective about having a hard drive out on a wireless network, but I guess it should be fine. I don't think the Airport Extreme will have a digital optical audio line out for playing music using iTunes to my stereo, but that would be solved with an....
  • AppleTV: I like the idea of being able to stream content to my TV, and use the digital optical audio line out for the video and audio content from iTunes. This seems useful to me because I spend a lot of my time grabbing content off my DVR (using a Canopus ADVC-100), capturing it as DV on the Mac, and finishing it to DVD, iPod, and PSP formats - now I'll have the ability to keep the content on my hard drive and stream it to the TV whenever I want, which seems pretty cool. The one thing that would be missing would be the ability to save HD content off my DVR since my Canopus only supports SD (it only has an s-video input).

Cool stuff. Anyway, back to work tomorrow after a relaxing MLK weekend.
And.... back to kendo tomorrow night!

1 Comments:

  • Yes, the wife is very happy to be treated to good food. :D I think it's been too long since I have had Foie Gras! (HINT! HINT!)

    By Blogger Orenji8, at 19 January, 2007 19:42  

Post a Comment

<< Home